I am using LibreOffice 3 which came with Ubuntu 11.04. I am also new to OpenSource. I would like to use new templates that I have found on OpenOffice.org and on your site, but can not figure out where to load the Templates or how to get them into the Template section.
I know this might be a simple task, but I am totally lost as to how to get this done.
J A K
My templates you can just download and use. I have done it this way so that you don’t need to do anything fancy to ‘install’ them. You can just download and open. Remember to save a blank copy so that you can use the template as a ‘start’ to any documents or presentations that you may create.
Your question about using templates is a common one, and there are a number of guides on the web to assist you in importing the template into your program of choice, and using it once it is imported. Rather than re-create the wheel, I have provided links to them below.
- If you are using OOo v3, then here is a really good guide on how to install Impress templates. Refer to the section on ‘Installing templates using the Extension Manager’
- If you have an older version of OOo, please consider upgrading (as v 3 is quite nice)
- Instructions for Impress in v 2.x are available in this guide on Working with Templates in Writer. Again, refer to the section on ‘Installing templates using the Extension Manager’
- Instructions for importing templates for Writer can be found in this guide on Organising Templates. Look at the heading ‘Importing a Template’.
- Once you have imported the template you can use it to create a document – see these instructions for Using a Template.
- Instructions for importing templates for Writer can be found in this guide to Organising Templates in Writer v2.x. Look at the heading ‘Importing a Template’.
- Once you have imported the template you can use it to create a document – see instructions at this link for using a template.
For those that have LibreOffice, Techrepublic has this really useful tutorial importing Templates into LibreOffice.
In Microsoft Office, I have found that by double clicking and opening the file from Explorer in Windows (or Finder in Mac), it will automatically open in the appropriate document (Word, PowerPoint or Excel), and the template automatically added to the template library.
If you need to use it again, the you need to ‘Apply the Template’. There are instructions from Microsoft on how to do this in the various applications:
- Apply a Template in MS Powerpoint
- Getting started using Templates in MS Excel (Video)
- Create a document in MS Word (look at heading ‘Start a document from a Template’)
If you have any questions, please contact me.